Oh Valentine’s day….. I am probably one of those rare girls who doesn’t make a big deal out of it. First of all, pink and red are my least favorite colors, I don’t like getting flowers ( I kill almost all the plants that are brought into the house. I barely keep my herbs alive…And they get oh so messy and stinky! ). Before I met my husband, I used to spend my Valentine’s day treating myself with a massage and facial, come home with take out food and watch ‘American Idol’. I was fine with that. And yes, my husband think I am a dream girl…because I am hopelessly NOT romantic….hahaha! 🙂 No heart-shaped chocolates or flowers for me, please. Instead, I am going to make us a nice filet mignon steak dinner so we can enjoy it at home with a glass of wine. Then off to the couch to cuddle and watch ‘Family guy’. Now that’s what I call ‘Rocking Valentine’s Day!’
2 pieces thick cut fillet mignon steaks (grassfed if possible >*<)
1 pack organic white mushroom (sliced)
1 small shallot (small dice)
1 cup red wine
1 cup mushroom broth (You can use store bought beef stock)
1 Tablespoon blue cheese (crumbled)
2 teaspoon thyme (chopped)
2 thin slices butter
For oven roasted red potatoes: 1/2 lb red potatoes, 1 teaspoon rosemary (chopped), olive oil, salt and pepper
1. Leave the steak out in room temperature for 30 mins before cooking
2. Pat dry with paper towel. Salt and pepper on both side
3. In a ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until almost smoking.
4. Place the steaks in the hot pan and cook until well seared on 1 side, about 3 minutes. Turn the steaks over, there should be a nice crust on top
5. Place it in the oven (375’F) for 10 mins for medium rare.
6. Take the meat out, place some butter on top and let it rest.
7. Return the pan to the stove over medium-high heat, add shallot and mushroom and cook till brown
8. Add wine and reduce till half
11. Stir in blue cheese. (If someone doesn’t like blue cheese, just don’t tell them. )
12. Salt and pepper (Blue cheese is salty and go real easy with salt)
note: In a restaurant, they would use ‘demi glace’ which is super reduced mixer of brown stock and brown sauce. But at home, let’s be logical ^*^ – if you want sauce to be a little thicker, just sprinkle pinch of flour and cook it for 2-3 mins.
For the potatoes (This is my favorite way to cook them)
1. Cut red potatoes in half
2. Boil them for 15-20 mins till tender
4. Drizzle with some olive oil, add chopped rosemary and salt and pepper
5. Place in the over (350’F) for 20 mins